Our Lady of Sorrows Novena 2017 Fourth Day

CARIANI, Giovanni
The Way to Calvary
c. 1519

And as they led him away, they laid hold of one Simon of Cyrene, coming from the country; and they laid the cross on him to carry after Jesus. And there followed him a great multitude of people, and of women, who bewailed and lamented him. But Jesus turning to them, said: Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not over me; but weep for yourselves, and for your children. For behold, the days shall come, wherein they will say: Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that have not borne, and the paps that have not given suck. Then shall they begin to say to the mountains: Fall upon us; and to the hills: Cover us. For if in the green wood they do these things, what shall be done in the dry? Lk.xxiii.

MOST BLESSED and afflicted Virgin, Queen of Martyrs, who didst stand generously beneath the cross, beholding the agony of thy dying Son; by the sword of sorrow which then pierced thy soul, by the sufferings of thy sorrowful life, by the unutterable joy which now more than repays thee for them; look down with a mother’s pity and tenderness, as I kneel before thee to compassionate thy sorrows, and to lay my petition with childlike confidence in thy wounded heart. I beg of thee, O my Mother, to plead continually for me with thy Son, since He can refuse thee nothing, and through the merits of His most sacred Passion and Death, together with thy own sufferings at the foot of the cross, so to touch His Sacred Heart, that I may obtain my request,

Here pause and name the favours which you are asking Our Sorrowful Mother to obtain for you through this Novena. (Let your secondary intention be to pray for the intentions of all the people making this Novena anywhere in the world. Thus a great mass prayer for all Novena intentions will arise to Our Blessed Mother.)

For to whom shall I fly in my wants and miseries, if not to thee, O Mother of mercy, who, having so deeply drunk the chalice of thy Son, canst most pity us poor exiles, still doomed to sigh in this vale of tears? Offer to Jesus but one drop of His Precious Blood, but one pang of His adorable Heart; remind Him that thou art our life, our sweetness, and our hope, and thou wilt obtain what I ask, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Hail Mary, Virgin Most Sorrowful, pray for us.
(Seven times)


The Stabat Mater
At the cross her station keeping,
Stood the mournful Mother weeping,
Close to Jesus to the last.


Through her heart, His sorrow sharing,
All His bitter anguish bearing,
Now at length the sword had passed.


Oh, how sad and sore distressed
Was that Mother highly blest,
Of the sole begotten One!


Christ above in torment hangs.
She beneath beholds the pangs
Of her dying glorious Son.


Is there one who would not weep,
Whelmed in miseries so deep,
Christ’s dear Mother to behold?


Can the human heart refrain
From partaking in her pain,
In that Mother’s pain untold?


Bruised, derided, cursed, defiled,
She beheld her tender Child,
All with bloody scourges rent.


For the sins of His own nation,
Saw Him hang in desolation
Till His spirit forth He sent.


O thou Mother: fount of love!
Touch my spirit from above,
Make my heart with thine accord.


Make me feel as thou hast felt;
Make my soul to glow and melt
With the love of Christ my Lord.


Holy Mother, pierce me through;
In my heart each wound renew
Of my Savior crucified.


Let me share with thee His pain,
Who for all my sins was slain,
Who for me in torment died.


Let me mingle tears with thee,
Mourning Him who mourned for me,
All the days that I may live.


By the Cross with thee to stay;
There with thee to weep and pray,
Is all I ask of thee to give.


Virgin of all virgins best,
Listen to my fond request:
Let me share thy grief divine.


Let me to my latest breath,
In my body bear the death
Of that dying Son of thine.


Wounded with His every wound,
Steep my soul till it hath swooned
In His very blood away.


Be to me, O Virgin, nigh,
Lest in flames I burn and die,
In His awful Judgment day.


Christ, when Thou shalt call me hence,
Be Thy Mother my defense,
Be Thy Cross my victory.


While my body here decays,
May my soul Thy goodness praise,
Safe in Paradise with Thee. Amen.


ANDREA DA FIRENZE
Crucifixion
1370-77

The Seven Sorrows of Our Lady
1. St. Simeon’s Prophecy
2. The Flight into Egypt
3. The Loss of Jesus in the Temple
4. The Meeting of Mary and Jesus on the Way to Calvary
5. The Crucifixion and Death of Jesus
6. The Piercing of the Side of Jesus, and His Descent from the Cross
7. The Burial of Jesus.

Comments

Popular Posts