Everyone Likes The SNL's Christmas Mass Spectacular - So Why Doesn't Mel Gibson Produce A Comedy Contrasting The Latin Mass & New Mass Communities?


500,000 hits and rising...

No one seems upset at the video - because it is true. No one who attends the new mass is upset.

Because of the success of this SNL video, one would think that a movie could be made along the same lines - only contrasting the war between those who attend the new mass and those who attend the Latin Mass.

Here are a few comments from Fr.Z blog:
Baritone says:
26 December 2014 at 2:38 pm
I can appreciate the humor in this, having experienced some of this first hand. However, it is kind of a sad commentary on the state of the liturgy. Nothing in the SNL clip was focused on the Lord. What’s sad is that, at the same time, it was not that far off from some Masses I’ve seen. 
Bob Glassmeyer says:
26 December 2014 at 2:52 pm
This is exactly how it is on Sunday.
On the Fourth Sunday of Advent this year, our deacon sang the “Whoville” Song from the Grinch during his homily. I got up and quietly left, and went to Mass somewhere else. It wasn’t a vast improvement there, but at least I didn’t want to stick a skewer into my skull. It’s a sadly accurate depiction of Mass on Sunday. 
bbmoe says:
26 December 2014 at 4:45 pm
I once knew a Ms. Chapin. She recited the reading as though she were in some Edwardian poetry guild. Years ago, a friend sent me an audio of Edna St. Vincent Millay reading one of her poems, and it sounded JUST LIKE THE MOST PRETENTIOUS READER EVRRRR. Since I’m here: I’d like to put a word in for those folks who really try and who prepare and who slave away to make Christmas services a really good and reverent experience for all involved. I am closely related to someone who gave a “review” of the Christmas Mass we went to to all and sundry. It was too long, they didn’t sing his favorite verse of “Joy to the World,” they didn’t read the correct readings (i.e., the ones in the Magificat, which, as I pointed out, was not an exhaustive list of proper readings: correct me if I’m wrong, please), blah blah blah. I was disappointed in his attitude, to say the least, but I knew that of the people in that church, at that time, I was in the minority. I was dead tired and I remember at about 9 am (I had been awake for 5 hours at that point) thinking, “I’d give anything to be able to skip Mass.” I immediately thought, no, I owe this to my God. It’s the least I can do, the very least. Was it the “best” Mass ever? Maybe not by some standards, but I was there, with Jesus, it was reverent, and the miracle happened and I knew my God, and I prayed for my family, friends, and those in need. What else is there?
Grumpy Beggar says:
26 December 2014 at 5:21 pm
. . . kind of like one of those medicines that tastes real bad, but is “good for what ails ya.” The part that hurt more for me was each time they said “St. Joseph’s Church”, because of a personal devotion I have to St. Joseph , but that still couldn’t keep me from cracking up and almost FOCL while I watched the video (lol). Where I’d give them full marks , is , as evidenced by the comments so far too, it’s clear they had to have consulted Catholics to get it that close – and that’s what really made it funny: They “cut pretty close to the bone.” They weren’t laughing at the Catholic church – they we’re laughing at the anomalies that bug real Catholics. With SNL , I never expect much they do on religion to actually seriously be about God. Some stuff they’ve done in the past tends towards disrespect and to mockery of God and the Church, but this one is almost purely satirical. I think this video provides some much needed comic relief for those of us who endure these things. And the point gets driven home by the lady who asks the man singing beside him, [at roughly 2:29] ” Is this all still about Jesus? ” I don’t think this particular one is disrespectful – I watched it a second time and almost laughed as hard. That being said, as individuals, it’s a good thing if we’re able to each draw our own personal line as an objective reference point for watching comedy. One movie where I did draw the line was with Monty Python’s The Life of Brian. Even though most of my friends saw it , I couldn’t bring myself to. . . (seen almost every other MP skit episode and movie, but never that one). This was a chance to laugh at the unholy mess that often stems from that offering of the sign of peace – it wasn’t in Church so we weren’t obliged to be politically correct ; it wasn’t with our pastor so we didn’t have to be polite. . . all we had to do was laugh freely if we wanted. Check out this dialogue again and see how closely they nail it – I believe they’re confirming that the sign of peace becomes a distraction way before we’re actually asked to exchange the sign of peace . . . for the simple, painful fact that we can see it coming (at a time where we’re supposed to be immersed in prayer) : “And Mr. Drubler who’s eager to say, ‘Peace be with you’, while holding out the sweatiest hand you’ve ever seen !” For satire that tells it like it is, I tip my hat. I’m afraid I don’t always have the luxury of being able to go elsewhere when liturgy becomes sprained or dislocated – I serve voluntarily in pastoral long-term and palliative care , in an institution where the now secular-minded administration has been gradually choking the sacramental life out of the pastoral services and has reduced the Catholic chaplain’s (priest’s) hours down to 18 hours a week, where they had originally been full-time -( and it looks like they aren’t finished cutting yet) – even though the patients are 92% old-school Catholics – well grounded in their faith. For me, going elsewhere would directly result in less patients attending Mass, receiving Holy Communion, voicing their concerns (those who are still able to) among other things. So I choose to stay with the patients in the trenches , and every once in a while that means I have to take a hit from some spiritual shrapnel flying off the edge of some new or repeated form of liturgical abuse. Fr Z. : That SNL video was a most welcome bit of R&R for me. Thanks for sharing the smiles. May God Bless you abundantly in this season and always . . .will make a point of praying for you later this evening.
Again the SNL video is true.

So why not produce a full length movie contrasting the Latin Mass community with the nonsense found in the new mass community?

It would be both a comedy and a tragedy.

The film would cover every facet of Catholic life these last fifty years from the Sodomite clergy to those who would sacrifice everything to be chaste and pure in doctrine and in life.

Everyone has a story to tell about attending the new mass and attending the Latin Mass. No shortages of material on this subject.

The sheep and the goats is an apt title.

Get busy.....


Comments

Popular Posts